Computational semantics is the study of how to automate the process of constructing and reasoning with meaning representations of natural language expressions. It consequently plays an important role in natural language processing and computational linguistics.
Some traditional topics of interest are: construction of meaning representations, semantic underspecification, anaphora resolution, presupposition projection, and quantifier scope resolution. Methods employed usually draw from formal semantics or statistical semantics. Computational semantics has points of contact with the areas of lexical semantics (word sense disambiguation and semantic role labeling), discourse semantics, knowledge representation and automated reasoning (in particular, automated theorem proving). Since 1999 there has been an ACL special interest group on computational semantics, SIGSEM.
- Discourse representation theory
- Minimal recursion semantics
- Natural language understanding
- Semantic compression
- Semantic parsing
- Semantic Web
- Blackburn, P., and Bos, J. (2005), Representation and Inference for Natural Language : A First Course in Computational Semantics, CSLI Publications. ISBN 1-57586-496-7.
- Bunt, H., and Muskens, R. (1999), Computing Meaning, Volume 1, Kluwer Publishing, Dordrecht. ISBN 1-4020-0290-4.
- Bunt, H., Muskens, R., and Thijsse, E. (2001), Computing Meaning, Volume 2, Kluwer Publishing, Dordrecht. ISBN 1-4020-0175-4.
- Copestake, A., Flickinger, D. P., Sag, I. A., & Pollard, C. (2005). Minimal Recursion Semantics. An introduction. In Research on Language and Computation. 3:281–332.
- Eijck, J. van, and C. Unger (2010): Computational Semantics with Functional Programming. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-75760-7
- Wilks, Y., and Charniak, E. (1976), Computational Semantics: An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Understanding, North-Holland, Amsterdam. ISBN 0-444-11110-7.
- Blackburn, Patrick, and Johan Bos. "Computational semantics." Theoria: An International Journal for Theory, History and Foundations of Science (2003): 27-45.
- Basile, Valerio, et al. "Developing a large semantically annotated corpus." LREC 2012, Eighth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation. 2012.
- Special Interest Group on Computational Semantics (SIGSEM) of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL)
- IWCS - International Workshop on Computational Semantics (endorsed by SIGSEM)
- ICoS - Inference in Computational Semantics (endorsed by SIGSEM)
- Wolfram Group - Semantic Representation of Pure Mathematics
|This computational linguistics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This semantics article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|